Personal Effectiveness is the ability to make the most out of all the personal resources (our talent, energy and time) at your disposal to achieve your work and life goals. It’s a daily skill we must apply as we set out to accomplish our respective goals in life.
In the workplace, personal effectiveness is about getting our desired results (wanted and intended) and employing whatever styles necessary to get the Job done.
Why should you improve your personal effectiveness??
Knowing what you do well, what you can rely on and what qualities you have are essential to maintaining your personal effectiveness. With good planning and effective goal setting, you can ensure a consistent career progression.
Management and leadership development can only be achieved by mastering the skills required for effectiveness.
What are Skills required in building Personal Effectiveness?
The first secret of effectiveness is to understand the best way to work effectively with other people. The basic skills required for working with others are Interpersonal Skills and Communication Skills.
These are a set of learned skills acquired through knowledge and practice; they are skills required for improving human interactions and working effectively with others. Interpersonal skills enable you to work with others harmoniously and efficiently. It basically made up of four components:
- Decision Making: Identifying appropriate evidence and weighing up the evidences to make a choice.
- Team Building: Building collaborations and getting things done through groups.
- Conflict Managements: Keeping inevitable conflicts from becoming destructive.
- Crisis Managements: Getting the most of the ever changing environment.
Ways to Develop your Interpersonal Skills.
- Understand, appreciate and respect diverse perspectives and styles
- Participate and contribute fully as a team member
- Demonstrate empathy and understanding
- Build trust and demonstrate trustworthiness
Another Skill required for building Interpersonal Skills is:
According to Indeed.com,
“Communication skills are abilities you use when giving and receiving different kinds of information. Some examples include communicating ideas, feelings or what’s happening around you. Communication skills involve listening, speaking, observing and empathizing. It is also helpful to understand the differences in communications via face-to-face interactions, phone conversations and digital communications, like email and social media.”
Good Time Managements
Good time management is best achieved by:
- Identifying what is important to you (priorities) and getting them done
- Getting the most out of your time
- Cultivating the habit of effective planning
- Planning time based on your vision and goals
- Creating a balance that works for you
- Using the time management matrix to prioritize (shown above,)
To be effective, you must always engage in Self Awareness test by:
- Checking your Purpose and Values
Your values are how we think things ought to be or how people ought to behave in terms of qualities such as fairness, honesty, integrity, openness, service, excellence etc.
- Having a mental picture of your strengths, weakness, successes and failure.
- Managing your “Self concept” which influences our goals, temperament and actions and ultimately affects self esteem
- Seek opportunity for improvement and development
In choosing a behavioral style, learn to be assertive by – expressing your needs and thoughts honestly and directly without violating the right of others
Improve in your area of strength and become a proactive person by taking responsibility for life and career. Change your attitude and it will affect your altitude. Learn to concentrate on what you can influence and reduce your circle of concern.
Ethics is how we meet the challenge of doing the right thing when they cost more than we want to pay. Ethics means having a sense of what’s just and fair, in business it includes other virtues like:
- Responsibility: Capacity to put things in order
- Accountability: Sense of what needs to be done and what it takes to do it
- Balanced priority
How do you develop your Business Ethics?
Guideline that should govern your ethical decision making must be based on the golden rule:
“Do unto others what you want others to do unto you.”
In building your business ethics, two things are important: the standard to follow and the will to follow it.
What are ways we can increase our Personal Effectiveness?
- Increase effectiveness through self leadership by realizing that it’s in your best interest to accept responsibility for getting what you need to succeed in the workplace
- Get rid of assumed constraints that denies you of trying because of your past failure (belief you have based on past experience, that limits your current and future experiences)
- Know the nature of your strength –your points of power so that you can cultivate them
- Diagnose yourself (understand your competence and commitment level for the goals you have to achieve)
- Collaborate with other and all the leaders who can support you (anyone who can give you the support and direction you need to achieve you goal)
Remember you are the only one that can improve your effectiveness, so go ahead and do it. Do that by:
- Understand yourself
- Improve Interpersonal skills
- Achieve Self-Responsibility
- Improve Accountability
- Achieve Goals
- Lead yourself